From high density living to life-changing Australian innovations, iconic furniture to locally crafted jewellery, the first Melbourne Design Week presented by the National Gallery of Victoria will explore the broad reach and impact of design in Victoria.
Part of the Andrews Labor Government’s strategy to strengthen the state’s growing design industry, the program will showcase local and international design innovators and explore the value of design.
Running from 16-26 March 2017, Melbourne Design Week will feature talks by leading design experts, design-focused exhibitions, tours, panel discussions and industry events held at NGV International and partner venues throughout the city.
During the Week 15 businesses across Victoria will open their doors to the public to reveal how they have used design to transform how they work and add value to their business.
Called Open State, the new initiative is presented in partnership with Open House Melbourne.
Other highlights include:
- Innovators – Australian Design and Innovation – an exhibition celebrating design and innovation from Australia including Wi-Fi, the bionic ear, polymer banknotes and their innovators
- Going Dutch: Can Dutch Design Values Improve our Living? – a panel of Melbourne-based Dutch designers will explore how Dutch design approaches could help tackle big issues facing Melbourne
- Creating the Contemporary Chair – an exhibition at NGV International celebrating creativity and innovation in chair design
- Does blak design matter? – The Koorie Heritage Trust and Indigenous Architecture and Design Victoria will host a panel discussion about contemporary Indigenous design, moderated by journalist Daniel Browning
- Contemporary Jewellery Trail Walking Tour – a guided tour through the studios and galleries of Melbourne jewellery designers
The full program for 2017 Melbourne Design Week is available at designweek.melbourne
Quotes attributable to Minister for Creative Industries Martin Foley
“Being a creative state isn’t just about having great arts and cultural events – it’s about applying creative thinking and approaches to all aspects of our society. Design is central to this.”
“Melbourne Design Week will explore the value design can and does bring to Victoria – to our lives, communities, businesses and industries. It’s a growing part of our $23 billion creative and cultural economy.”
Quote attributable to NGV Director Tony Ellwood
“Melbourne Design Week will reinforce Melbourne’s reputation as a city of great design and architecture. The 2017 event will inspire audiences with innovative design projects and concepts from around the world.”